Friday, December 19, 2008

Doc War!


vs.

I like the idea of cloud based storage, having the files I want only a internet connection away. While it is frustrating when I cannot connect to them, not having to spend any effort to move them makes up for it. Sharing and having multiple people updating the same document. I wouldn't store sensitive information on it, but I don't like to store that kind of thing electronically at all.

Google Docs is a tool that I have used in the past for collaborating with people on group projects. I've always like the ease of use, I never had any trouble with the UI. One of the real reasons that I use it, and why I am and reluctant to switch, is because it seems like everyone is on it. The amount of users has reached a critical mass, where the technology seems to have become ubiquitous. It like at the web2.0 lecture during staff day, where fax machines only became useful when everyone seemed to have them.


Zoho Writer is the other tool that we were asked to try out. From the beginning, I liked it. I didn't have to make another sign in, I could use my already existing Google account. And the features look great. They had many of the tool I use when collaborating online, all in one place. And the writer had a many more tools then Google Docs. Unfortunately, nothing seemed to make this such a better option that I wanted to move my data to their service. It's good, and if I had discovered this first I might be using it instead of Google Docs, but for now, until I need to use it for something, I probably won't look at it again unless I have too.

If our founding fathers could grasp the implications of being able to freely share and work together on projects with out having to be in the same geographical space, I think they would vandalize Wikipedia.

No comments: