Wednesday, December 17, 2008

You've got mail?

iving up email was something that I used to say I could do, all I ever used it for was signing up for things and collecting spam; e-mail was something other people used, not me. But I gave up my Luddite ways, and got a gmail account when I went to college. I thought I would have a hard time remembering to check it, but I suddenly find my self
looking at it compulsively, checking it every couple of hours, what changed?

I guess I started needing it. I rely on email for all of my academic and work related communication, I get updates from it. And I've started to use it for personal use, almost as a text messaging replacer.

As far as other text communication things, the only one I really use is SMS. It's great for when I don't want to leave a message, but want to say something, or when I want to not bother someone with a call, because it's something stupid. I like that I don't have to deal with it right then, I can wait. I don't use a chat client very often, when I do it's iChat. I used to use it more in middle school, but now it seems like a waste of time.

I like using text based communication tools, it gives me all the time I need to compose my thought, and it harder to blab on about inane things. I'll still be using email, it's not going away for me anytime soon. I might make better use of IMs in the future, but for now, it's easier to call or see someone, then wait for them online.

1 comment:

Mr. Askew said...

I think the drive to compulsively check our 2.0 and email accounts is something worthy of a larger forum. But I agree with you completely. What starts our so innocently so becomes, if one isn't disciplined, all-consuming.